1240The Leffe Brewery is located on the right bank of the Meuse River, about 1 kilometre south of the town of Dinant. In 1152, the Premonstratensian Fathers founded the Notre-Dame Abbey where the Leffe and Meuse rivers meet. The abbey's name was changed to Leffe Abbey in 1200. The monks brewed ale made of natural ingredients and based on a recipe that had been passed down from generation to generation. The first reference to the brewery in historical records dates back to 1240.